Join Central Baptist Church, PA Interfaith Power & Light, Coalition for Peace Action, and Sustainable Business Network for this 1/2 day workshop by an inspiring young social philosopher, author and speaker. A light lunch will be served. While the workshop is not fee-based, there will be a donation request.
Download (and share!) a PDF of the poster with information on breakout sessions: EisensteinWorkshop.CBC
Central Baptist Church is located at 106 W. Lancaster Ave in Wayne, PA 19087, directly across from the Wayne Cinema. Church parking is accessed from West Wayne Ave, across from the Post Office. The church is one block from the Wayne train station on the Paoli line. For more information and RSVP contact church office 610 688 0664 or the workshop contact person. The organizer will contact everyone who has RSVPd if there is a need to use the snow date.
Charles Eisenstein conducts workshops across the country as well as internationally. You can read more about him on his blog, where a recent essay was entitled “The End of War.” His most recent book, “The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible,” is our feature book for the workshop. (Watch a 12-min film based on the book online.)
The workshop will include a free-will donation for the speaker, Charles Eisenstein, in line with the philosophy of the “gift economy” he describes in his second book, Sacred Economics. Eisenstein is also co-leading a 2-day residential workshop with John Perkins later in February at Pendle Hill.
The CBC workshop on Feb. 7 is part of a year-long series focused on Climate Change at Central Baptist Church by two of the congregation’s mission groups: Peacemakers, and Ecology. Pastors Laurie Sweigard and Tom Beers have chosen to make climate change the focus of their fall worship series, “Creation Waits With Eager Longing.” Other events in this series:
- Journey of the Universe, the movie, telling the “story” of the universe and Earth, will be shown to seniors (9/11), at September Wednesdays’ 6:08, and Sunday October 5 after worship. A visually stunning and thought-provoking introduction to “Earth Story.”
- Green Christianity, by Mark Wallace (professor at nearby Swarthmore College), is the focus for a Sunday adult learning community 9:30AM from September 7 to October 12. The book is available for sale at a subsidized price at the Fair Trade table. A preview disc of Renewal, stories of faith communities’ responses to the eco-crisis, is inside the book. Learning community September 7, 14, and 21, will take a closer look at Renewal, and learning community September 28, October 5 and 12 will be taught by Mark Wallace, the author. “When God Was a Bird: Christianity, Animism, and the Re-Enchantment of the World” is his theme.
- People’s Climate March: a bus leaves CBC at 8AM and return at 7 PM for the New York march.
- “Getting to Zero” (zero carbon footprint) is a congregational goal we will be challenged to achieve using an online tool, introduced September 28.
- “Jesus, the Wood Thrush, and the Re-Enchantment of the World” is the theme of Mark Wallace’s sermon October 12.
- Short Films on ecology from Baptist Peace Camp 2014: learning community October 19 and 26.
Note: Primary funding for this event is a grant from First Baptist Church, Ardmore, given upon the sale of that church when it disbanded.