The energy we choose and use has impacts on vulnerable people, and on the ecosystems on which we all depend. Even when we choose renewables, when we use no more than we need, we are better stewards of one another and our Common Home, and we can better light the way for others on the same path!
Invite members of your house of worship’s property committee, business office, and building stewards as well as clergy and interested congregants — including those who may have small businesses! RSVPs are helpful, but not required.
Virtually every faith tradition teaches stewardship: Out of gratitude and appreciation for what we have been given, we are taught to make wise use of gifts and assets such as financial and natural resources, the time and talents of congregation members, and the house of worship, itself, in ways that are responsible and accountable.
- However, like most U.S. commercial buildings, the typical worship facility wastes about 30 percent of the energy for which its congregants pay.
No-cost efficiency actions and careful investments can earn substantial savings to be returned to the mission of the congregation. What could your congregation do with funds equivalent to 30 percent of your annual energy bill? Also, while saving money, the pollution related to this wasted energy will be reduced—pollution that impacts human life and health. Further, natural resources will be conserved for our children and generations to come.
ENERGY STAR is the nation’s voluntary program helping congregations, businesses, schools, homeowners, and tenants save energy and water—and therefore money. Local Pennsylvania faith communities are hosting ENERGY STAR presentations on tools, training, and technical support freely available at www.energystar.gov/congregations.
- Action Workbook for Congregations (PDF) for savings facts and strategies, action lists, no-cost/low-cost “Sure Savers” and more
- Free, online Portfolio Manager® tool for tracking energy, water savings, and recycling/material management, and the resulting pollution prevention at energystar.gov/benchmark
- Live and recorded webinars, FAQs, fact sheets, short videos, at energystar.gov/buildings/training
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT:
- ENERGY STAR Help Desk at energystar.gov/buildings/help
- JOIN ENERGY STAR:
- Learn how your congregation can be an ENERGY STAR partner at no cost or obligation at energystar.gov/joinbuildings