Please share this job announcement widely. The position is part-time. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Policy Engagement Manager – Pennsylvania Interfaith Power & Light
For a decade Pennsylvania Interfaith Power & Light (PA IPL) has supported faith communities around the state responding to the threat of climate change as a key moral issue of our time through advocacy, education, energy conservation, energy efficiency, stewardship, and the use and promotion of clean, renewable energy.
PA IPL is part of a broad national network of 40 IPL affiliates and has recently completed a strategic planning process to chart its way forward.
We are seeking a part-time (10-20 hours) contract-based Policy Engagement Manager who is passionate about Climate Justice and the interfaith mission of PA IPL with experience in non-profit or interfaith program planning and implementation. The Policy Engagement Manager will work under the supervision of the Executive Director. This is a contractor position established on a one year with a regular evaluation scheduled every six months. In the future PA IPL would like to make the Advocacy & Program Manager Associate position a full-time regular staff position.
We are seeking a candidate with a strong background in:
We seek candidates who excel in communication and development, build strong relationships, are results-oriented, and are excellent problem solvers.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Comfort interacting with PA IPL members and representing PA IPL to the public and to advocate on behalf of policy positions to elected officials, aids, and others
- Social media and website management skills highly preferred
- Excellent writer; able to craft a concise and compelling writing for PA IPL
- Excellent interpersonal skills: someone who can communicate across a broad range of stakeholders
- Ability to function as member of a team and the organization as a whole
- Ability to multi-task
- Must have schedule flexibility
- College Degree
- Prior experience in advocacy with a preference for such experience in the non-profit sector especially with environmental or faith-based organizations.
- Experience with social and/or climate justice issues.
- A background in or sensitivity to faith based or interfaith work is a plus.
Responsibilities of the position include:
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is passionate about Climate Change / Justice and affecting policy through sustained advocacy. The ideal candidate would be someone with a connection to advocacy with faith community-based organizations, especially related to Climate Justice and Social Justice issues. The candidate will be an excellent communicator, has interpersonal and organizational skills, and is experienced advocacy work.
- Research, identify, and report to PA IPL membership regarding issues and initiatives (legislative and otherwise) relevant to climate change. Primarily this takes place during monthly advocacy calls.
- Coordinate and execute a strategy to advocate for climate justice with local, state, and federal officials cultivating relationships as part of PA IPL’s sustained advocacy plan.
- Assist in creating and arguing for a convincing case for climate change and climate justice.
- Work directly with the Executive Director to reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups.
- Consult on the PA IPL’s communications to earn traditional media and social media attention for the organization and the climate justice issues PA IPL is addressing.
- Assist in the development of and participate in PA IPLs annual conference.
- Provide reports which catalogue and analyze relevant data and issues regarding policies and the broader public debate/initiatives for the Executive Director, the PA IPL Board, and membership upon request.
The position is offered as a one-year contract with a six-month scheduled evaluation. Compensation depends on experience with a salary range between $15-20/hour for 10-20 hours per week ($10,000-$20,000). As a contract position the Policy Engagement Manager is not eligible for benefits.
Pennsylvania Interfaith Power & Light is an equal opportunity employer
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and list of at least three references to the Executive Director, David Heayn-Menendez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.