- This event has passed.
Snowed in films
January 22, 2016 @ 8:00 PM - January 24, 2016 @ 10:00 PM
We’ve had to postpone several events due to the forecast, including a film. If you’re at home with electricity and Internet we offer the following list:
- Chasing Ice (the planned film) is streaming on Netflix now.
- Home is streaming online. Read more about it and link through from our Thanksgiving post.
- All three episodes of Richard Alley’s series for PBS, Earth: The Operators’ Manual is available online.
- Kirsi Jansa’s series Gas Rush Stories and Sustainability Pioneers are both streaming, too.
- And the recipient of our 2015 Visionary Award, Rabbi Arthur Waskow, director of the Shalom Center sent this recommendation today:
As Tu B’Shvat (the midwinter Full Moon and the RebirthDay of Trees) approaches (beginning this coming Sunday evening), rent the film Avatar, and check out <https://theshalomcenter.org/node/1672>, <https://theshalomcenter.org/node/1692>, and <https://theshalomcenter.org/node/1792>.
Why? Because a predicted blizzard for the Northeast Corridor from Washington to Boston is also approaching.. This may disrupt your present plans for communally celebrating the Tu B’Shvat Seder – the sacred meal of fruits and nuts that celebrate both the trees of Earth and The Tree of all life — one of the metaphors through which Jewish mystics saw the Holy Unity that breathes all life.
If you are facing cancellation of your communal Seder, or may not be able to get there yourself, a quick suggestion: Go NOW to rent the film Avatar, which celebrated sacred trees as the heart of a rebellion against the pharaonic power of a Crusher military force threatening the life of a planet/moon called Pandora and its blue-skinned indigenous people, the Navi (Hebrew for “prophet”).
And check out those essays about Avatar on The Shalom Center‘s website — Then watch the film Sunday evening, munching on various fruits and nuts, drinking four cups of wine — red, rose, pink, white – pausing to thank the Source of All for this abundance – and turning this meal into a discussion of how Avatar applies to us today. —
Good yontif, chag Ha-Ilan sameyakh — Arthur