- This event has passed.
Earth Hour! YOUR House parties and celebrations
March 19, 2016 @ 8:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Every year, PA IPL invites people to hold Earth Hour parties at home or in their houses of worship that act as fundraisers or “friend-raisers” for PA IPL. It’s great chance to jump in… and it’s fun. Celebrate reaching a goal, or setting a goal — or both. Let us know if you want some colorful PA IPL handouts to share!
Earth Hour is a worldwide event, uniting people as they join to turn off the electricity and go dark for 1 hour, local time on a Saturday in late March. This year Earth Hour is
8:30-9:30PM Saturday March 19.
Celebrate with your friends, your neighborhood, or your congregation! Are evenings not so good for you? No problem! It’s a worldwide event, so you can watch online as the Eiffel Tower or the Sydney Opera House goes dark (3:30 PM our time for Paris, or 5:30 AM for Sydney).
Here are a few ideas to get you started. If you’re going with 8:30-9:30 local time and you can, make it dramatic: do a countdown and throw the main breaker for your whole house so everything goes out at once.
- potluck party food and poems
- open mic night (acoustic from 8:30-9:30)
- hire a local acoustic musician to play (does the local high school have a jazz band? I bet they have a pianist!)
analog game night —inter-generational parlor games (by candlelight or solar camping lantern during Earth Hour itself). Look up Shadow Buff, Bag of Nouns,Forehead Detective, and Fictionary to get you started.
flashlight tag for the kids
brie and baguettes at 3:30 in the afternoon when Paris goes dark (you can watch online)
- tea and scones (or a Monty Python sing-a-long?) at 4:30 in the afternoon when London goes dark
- If you know a bunch of really-early-birds: bring a stuffed animal or wear a costume to dress your dingo, cuddle your koala, or walk your wallaby at 5:30 AM when Sydney, Australia goes dark. If you really want to go whole hog, you could serve Vegemite, but… plan to have leftovers!