Want to donate more than your checkbook says you can? Anyone can turn the donation dial from “whippet” to “mastiff.” Here are five ways to give your donation more muscle:
- Tell a friend about PA IPL, about your deep concerns about climate change and about your path, and invite your friend to donate, too.
- Involve your congregation. We’ll help. A generous matching grant from the national IPL will effectively double congregational contributions of $250 or more. The challenge is good both for direct contributions, and for directed donations by congregants (does your congregation call these “second collections”?). We’ll only get the grant if we raise the match!
- Hold a house party: invite friends to join you for a small event (dinner party at your house, game night, hike-and-hot-cider, and ask them to make a contribution to Pennsylvania Interfaith Power & Light instead of bringing a host gift. Earth Hour (generally the 4th Saturday in March) is a great excuse for a party! Reach out to see if someone from PA IPL might be available to join the party and make the (very soft) ask…. or go super-simple and designate PA IPL as your preferred birthday/anniversary/retirement gift.
- Help expand our successful Bike Trip program with a local solidarity ride of any length. These will connect riders with congregations and elected leaders, supporting the efforts of our annual trip from State College to Washington, DC. We’re actively looking for someone (or a group of someones) who will help organize local rides. The rides are fun, and hopeful, and we want to give more individuals, congregations, and communities the chance to participate. Do help us connect with the right people to make it happen!
- Finally, consider a multi-year pledge or, the next time you donate, an automatic recurring donation. These kinds of donations help create a predictable financial base that is invaluable to our budgeting and planning.