Walking sticks or staffs often signify wisdom or power. More practically, they may provide balance, support, navigation through rough terrain; grounding, help, even protection. We need all these things as we journey forward on this bumpy path.
And so: we are creating a gallery of walking sticks, conceived of and made by YOU! Gather with another person or a small crowd from your congregation or community and begin imagining, planning, and creating now!
In the stories shared by the Abrahamic traditions, Moses’ staff was used to draw water from a rock and to part the Red Sea. Walking staffs may be made of single, strong element, or by tightly binding elements that would be too weak or too sharp alone. Where do you see staffs in your religious tradition? What words or images give you strength? How might you share those on, in, or through a staff?
A search for walking sticks, hiking sticks, canes, and wizard staffs on Etsy, Ebay, Pinterest and Google Images will give you amazing visual launching points – you’ll find everything from Yoda and movie wizards, to art-carved hiking sticks, to practical hiking sticks inscribed with memorials or words of strength, and simple sticks scarred by their adventures — or ornamented with markers of the places they’ve traveled.
Your staff should be meaningful and faith-and-wisdom rooted. It doesn’t have to be postcard pretty or ADA approved! Size and materials are limited to something you can bring with you or mail to us. We will pay postage on standard postage tubes.
Let us know it’s coming!
We want to prepare a place and have a label ready for your contribution to our gallery. We’ll ask for the name of your congregation and religious tradition(s), for a brief description or interpretive note, and for a photo of the participants (names optional). You may title your work of art if you are so moved!
Mark your calendar for October 29, and come to the conference! You’ll leave inspired, energized, and newly connected with other Pennsylvanians who are reaching out in faith to act on climate change. You’ll add new skills and ideas to your toolbox for adapting for your own work and contexts — we hope in collaboration with PA IPL. We’re totally excited. Don’t miss it. Gather a van-full of registrants from your area and let us know as soon as you can — we’ll apply for transportation funding for your group.
- Learn more on our Conference page
- Share conference fliers and 1/2 page bulletin inserts .
- Spread the word by using “invite” on the Facebook event page.
- Volunteer to help out on a conference team.
- Faith organizations of all sorts may reserve a display table at our Faith-Full Green Fair to share resources, programs, or activities linked to climate or environmental justice.
- Help keep costs for participants low by becoming a Conference Sponsor.
- Support the conference and spread the word about the work your business or organization buy purchasing a display ad in our program book.
- Get a one-pager with the walking stick project instructions to recruit your project group.
- Browse past conferences.